San Diego Humane Society’s Emergency Response Team (ERT) deployed this afternoon to Monterey, to support a local animal shelter displaced by the River Fire. Once there, team members will provide animal care for farm animals evacuated by Monterey SPCA. The six-member ERT team is trained as animal care handling specialists and will be in Monterey for about a week.
Monterey SPCA had to evacuate their shelter and is currently set-up at the Monterey Fairgrounds. They are currently sheltering over 600 animals, including dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, geese, peacocks, tortoises, rabbits, parrots, parakeets, goats, pigs, tortoises, a pig, a chinchilla, and a bearded dragon evacuated from the fire. The SPCA is also evacuating numerous large animals including horses, alpaca, emus, sheep, and more from evacuation areas and helping residents find safe shelter for hundreds of horses and barn pets.
Monterey SPCA Immediate Donation Needs*:
- Please Donate Now to help. Donations made online allow us to use them for ever-changing urgent needs.
We could also use the following donations to help evacuated pets in our shelter:
Donations can be brought to our shelter or shipped to 1002 Monterey-Salinas Highway, Salinas CA 93908
If you are able to purchase these locally and deliver them asap, that would be greatly appreciated.
- Amazon Wish List for fire rescue and response
- Shavings and other bedding for horses and barn pets
- Watering cans
- Slip leashes (like this or similar)
- XL dog kennels (like this or similar)
- M dog kennels (like this or similar)
- X-Pens (like this or similar)
- Horse water troughs, 15-20 gallon (like this or similar)
- Utility Tubs, 17 gallons (like this or similar)
- Fly Spray for horses
- Fly masks for horses (like this or similar)
- Shallow Rubber Feed Bowls for horses (like this or similar)
- Lead Ropes for horses
- Psyllium supplement for horses (like this or similar – can be purchased at local feed stores)
- Vegetables for our many evacuated tortoises, such as squash, carrot, sweet potato, dark leafy greens (dandelion, mustard green, etc)
- UVA+UVB Light bulbs for our evacuated reptiles (like this or similar)
- Bags of Timothy Hay for rabbits and small pets
- Blankets and towels
- You can also give using our Amazon Wish List for Fire Rescue and Response.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering to help evacuated pets! If you would like to help, please fill out our volunteer form so we can schedule you. While we are thrilled you are able to volunteer, please do not show up at one of the locations without contacting us first.
* SOURCE: https://www.spcamc.org/for-pet-owners/prepare-for-a-disaster/help-fire.html