Are you getting away for the day or possibly an overnight trip? Who will watch your pets while you are away? Summer boarding and daycare services fill up quickly during the summer months. Make your reservations as soon as you know your schedule.
Choosing between overnight boarding and in-home pet sitting depends upon your personal preferences and the personalities of you furry friends, but whichever solution you choose, prescreen the facility or pet sitter prior to your vacation. If possible, schedule a short daycare session to familiarize your pet with the pet care business. Many facilities and in-home providers require a meet and greet to check for compatibility. For pets with special needs, confirm that the care provider is able to accommodate your pet’s medical needs.
A short checklist to consider:
– Will the schedule match what your pet is used to – walks, feeding, potty breaks?
– How much play time or visitation time will your pet get? How frequently does someone check on your pet to determine your pet’s well-being?
– How are emergencies handled?
– How will your pet be cared for in case of a power outage?
– Are daily reports available?
– Check references.
This article appeared in the Summer 2016 issue, page 31.